Research program at the Villa ArsonCall for applications
The Villa Arson is calling for applications for a new research program beginning in 2013.
The program is open to artists interested in developing a research project based on their artistic practice and on its modes of exhibition.
The goal of this two-year program is to enable five artists to develop their research and to produce work in exceptional surroundings. The whole of the Villa Arson’s production means will be at their disposal.
The team monitoring the program includes several persons from the Villa Arson: Pascal Pinaud, artist and member of the faculty, Joseph Mouton, writer and member of the faculty, Eric Mangion, director of the Centre national d’art contemporain, and Amel Nafti, Research Coordinator.
Applicants must have received their degree from an art school (or the equivalent) at least two years previously.
Applicants selected will benefit from privileged working conditions and from an invitation program extending to various guests: artists, curators, art critics and theoreticians.
Criteria for selection
The call for applications is open to all artists, regardless of their practice or medium.
There are five openings for the session 2013-2014.
The jury will consider first of all the quality of the artistic work, the relevancy of the applicant’s letter and the date at which the degree (DNSEP or the equivalent) has been obtained. An interview with the jury will be an essential aspect of the selection.
Please note: depending on the number of applicants, the jury is empowered to carry out a preselection based on the assessment of the candidates’ portfolios.
What to include in the application
Application must include the following elements:- A one-page letter in French explaining your reasons for integrating the program;
– a PDF portfolio of your work (maximum 5 MB) and a printed portfolio (A4 format maximum). You may include links to one or several websites;
– a CV in French, specifying where you have been trained and the teachers you have worked with;
– a photocopy of your degree or diploma certificate and proof of your identity (photocopy of your national identity card or passport);
– a letter of recommendation (in French or in English) written by an established personality of the art world
Conditions of your stay
Each artist selected will benefit from the following conditions and means:
– on campus studio housing at the Villa Arson for two years;
– an annual grant of €5000;
– private studio space and complete access to the school’s technical workshops;
– access to all existing resources in the context of artistic research at the Villa Arson;
– the production of an exhibition at the Centre d’art contemporain of the Villa Arson and financial support for production
This program will begin in april 2013.
Deadline for application: January 31, 2013 (portfolio must be postmarked by this deadline), the following being required:
– paper portfolio must be sent by mail to: Villa Arson – Candidature «5/7» à l’attention d’Amel Nafti, 20 avenue Stephen Liegeard 06105 Nice Cedex 02
– PDF files and attached files (not exceeding 5 MB) must be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All inquiries are to be addressed to Research Coordinator Amel Nafti: amel.nafti@villa-arson.