DAAD: Berlin Artists-in-Residence programme
• Countries: all
• Subjects: literature, music and film
Programme Description The Berlin Artists-in-Residence programme, Berliner Künstlerprogramm, is one of the most renowned international programs offering grants to artists in the fields of literature, music, film and dance/performance. Each year, some 20 grants are awarded to international artists for approximately a one-year stay in Berlin. The names of about 1,000 former guests impressively underscore the quality of the programme. In its more than forty years of existence, it has made a significant contribution to the international representation of contemporary arts in Berlin.
One aim of the Berliner Künstlerprogramm is to offer freedom of creativity. While cultural traditions are threatened by a uniform levelling out in the process of globalization, the Berlin Künstlerprogramm promotes the diversity of artistic and literary positions. The notion of dialogue is central: other nations’ perspectives on conditions here – in film, visual arts, literature or music – are to be seen as a decisive incentive to self-reflection in our society.
The Berliner Künstlerprogramm sees itself as a platform for an exchange of art and culture extending beyond the boundaries of Europe. The year 1989 and the Fall of the Wall are viewed by the Berliner Künstlerprogramm as a commission to reinforce the freedom of art and the word. At the same time, the program therefore opposes the economic takeover of cultural values by liberating artistic creativity from the dictates of the market.
DAAD Berliner Künstlerprogramm / Berlin Artists-in-Residence programme
Markgrafenstraße 37 10117 Berlin
Target Group Internationally known artists in the fields of literature, music and film from abroad.
Number of Scholarships 20
Duration 12 months, for filmmakers 6 months
• Monthly grant installments for living costs and rent
• Travelling expenses including transportation (regular airlines, economy class), also for spouse and children who will be staying in Berlin for the entire duration of the invitation
• Health and accident insurance (contributions will be deducted from the grant)
• German language courses
Application Papers The application form of the Berliner Künstlerprogramm can be downloaded here.
The application procedure requires the submission of the completed application form and the following work materials:
1. Writers: Own publications (preferably in German, otherwise in English or French; if possible) – but please no more than 4 or 5 books / reviews. No manuscripts.
2. Composers: Scores, records, CDs, DVDs, tapes , videos, own publications, but no more than 3-4 samples please. The material ought to be co-ordinated very precisely, i.e. the score, the description of the work, photos and videos belonging to the samples should also be submitted. If specific pieces should be listened to, they should be marked accordingly.
3. Filmmakers: Videotapes, DVDs (please note: copied DVDs are often not readable, therefore NTSC, PAL, Beta preferred), scripts – but please no more than 2 work samples, preferably most recent works, with subtitles. Please include a synopsis of every film submitted. Maximum viewing time per candidate: 15 minutes. Thus, please mark the extracts which you would prefer to be viewed, especially with regards to long films. For all applicants: All materials submitted must be clearly marked with name and year created. For economic reasons, only original work material (books, scores, films) can be returned. Copies, manuscripts, copied CDs, DVDs and tapes will not be returned. The DAAD cannot assume any responsibility for submitted materials.
Application Deadline The application with materials must as a rule be submitted before January 1. The jury meets in the spring.