Maison des auteurs
Disciplines: Graphic Design, Film, Media Art, Literature, Multi Media
Language: French, English
Angoulême hosts since 1974 the International Comics Festival. In the wake of this event, various structures (Comic strip Museum, European School of Visual Arts, School for animated cinematographic skills) were set up and have fostered the emergence of ongoing dynamism benefiting the town and the region.
• Contribution to conferences, master classes and other cultural activities with groups (half a day per month of residence)
• possible exhibition at the end of the residency period or along the festival or other events.
Duration: 3 months to 2 years
Paid by artist:
Paid by host:
With a view to providing additional financial support alongside these residencies, the National Book Centre (Centre national du livre) may give bursaries to freelance designers and scriptwriters. To apply for this bursary, it is necessary to have already been published in France.
For French and foreign comic strip scriptwriter or illustrator fiscally residing in France, a bursary of 5.000 euros is awarded annually by the SAIF (Société des Auteurs des arts visuels et de l’Image Fixe).
For further information on the bursaries, please contact la Maison des auteurs.
Application Guidelines and Criteria:
La Maison des Auteurs has been set up to host graphics, multimedia or audiovisual projects from single artists or groups, based on time and the number of persons covered by each application. It is not intended for students but for those already involved in a professional activity.
To apply for a residency, please send in digital form following documents:
• An artist’s form (to download)
• A curriculum vitae with representative examples of your artistic achievements
• A covering letter in support of your application
• A precise description of your project with graphic documents, including, for comics projects, three finalized successive pages of the project. For animation, the application must include a synopsis, a letter of intent, one or two sequences with dialogues, visual aids of the film’s world and the characters.
June 10 2013
October 10 2013
February 10 2014
Deadline: 10 February, 10 June, 10 October every year
3 to 6 months
6 months +
origin of residents:
paid by host:
separate from accomodation
Address (residency first)
2 boulevard Aristide Briand BP 31334
Angoulême cedex 16012
Telephone: 00 33 (0)5 45 22 86 10